I am 18 now, in 2 or so months i will turn 19; I will become a true adult! One of my biggest expectation I have for myself is to generally speaking, grow up. I want to learn to appreciate the things I have, be it family, education and/or relationships. For all my life, even up until now, everything has been given to me: money, laptop, cellphone, tuition, food, clothes... All those things come out of my parents' pocket and I never really thought of the hard work my parents have to endure to provide me with the best life they want me to have.
They ask me to focus on school, and I just listen. They tell me their responsibility is to financially support the family, and my responsibility is to succeed in school so when I grow up, I can find a good-paying job. University tuition is expensive. $550 a course, 51 classes fifty minutes in length. A little over $10 per class. Every time you decide to skip a class, think twice. I need to realize it's time for me to start taking care of myself, there isn't much I can do but to save money when there's an opportunity to do so; find a job perhaps?
A select few of my friends have fallen for my persona of being wealthy. I don't find it surprising but truth is, I am not at the least bit rich. In fact my family is kind of poor to a point where we owe many of our relatives money. I know it sounds bizarre but it's true. There was a sad time in my life 2-3 years ago when my dad's business finally collapsed. He was the boss of a 20-30 employee garment industry. Things didn't go well and my parents were depressed most of the time. Not one time did they show their sadness to my sister and I, they wanted us to perceive the situation as nothing important. They wanted us to be like normal kids and they did keep us like that. Any school supply I needed, anything... was given to me. Even the slightest bit of useless shit (like gameboys, yugioh cards like wow im such a dumbass wasted so much money on yugioh cards) they still gave it to me. I ask them now: "Why did you buy me all the useless things I wanted when I was little?" Its not like I needed them. They said: "for that A you got in math." All for encouragement.
I know this may make my life seem sad, but it's not. I could not ask for more, I've got caring parents and a happy little sister. On top of that, I have wonderful friends who are on my side no matter what happens. So thank you mom and dad, I will use every bit of my willpower to score a good mark on exams. I'll make you proud.
:)
Wednesday, April 7, 2010
Things for granted
Posted by Matt at 11:55 PM

4 comments:
wahh so touching matt! now put your face in the textbooks and start reading away! Ga yao~
Hope you're doing well on your exams!
we love you matthew
we love you matthew
this was so touching, i love you =')
Post a Comment